We all know it can be stressful when storing your belongings in a storage unit. Did I make sure I packed everything carefully? Will my items be safe and secure? Did I accidentally pack something that I shouldn’t have? Will my items look the same as the way I left them? These are all questions you ask yourself when moving your items into a storage unit for the first time. However, below we have added some helpful tips that can make your move-in day a little less aggravating and worry-free.
- PLAN AHEAD!
- Make sure you label all sides of your boxes so you can identify each one.
- When storing fragile items wrap them in bubble wrap instead of paper. It does a better job at protecting your items and it can be reused.
- Apply leather conditioner before storing your leather items.
- If you are storing metal objects make sure you wipe them down with oil. By doing this your items will avoid rusting.
- When storing large items such as a refrigerator put it in the front of the storage unit instead of the back. Because when you’re moving out, it’s usually the first thing you put in the moving truck, so you want to put it in the front of the storage unit. The fridge is also your biggest, safest box, so it’s a great thing to put delicate items in that you want to protect from maybe getting smashed by other boxes.
- When storing nice furniture make sure you wrap it in blankets or tarps. This will protect your items from scratches.
- If you are storing a vacuum make sure you empty the bag completely. The leftover food fragments can attract pests.
- Make sure you don’t store anything perishable, this will avoid tracking rodents.
- Use the space inside drawers to store more items.
- When organizing your storage unit create a center aisle for an easier access.
- Place your items on a pallet so they won’t be directly on the ground.
- Place your heaviest boxes at the bottom.
- Put all of your bolts and screws in one ziplock bag.
- If you will be storing chairs, place them on one another. This will create more space in your storage unit.
- Fill up your boxes entirely; this will prevent it from collapsing.
Hopefully, you will find these tips helpful on move-in day and if you have any questions we haven’t answered, feel free to reach out. We look forward to seeing you here at A-1 Self Storage!