Garage sale season is here! Instead of throwing away miscellaneous items, why not have some fun and host a garage sale? Garage sales are perfect for decluttering and downsizing your house.
- Pick a Date – The first step is to choose dates and times of your garage sale. Most people go with Saturday or Sunday mornings. You’ll get a larger crowd if you start earlier in the day, especially on weekends.
- Gather Inventory – Go through every room in your house and pick up anything you haven’t used in months. Don’t forget to go through closets, attics, and garages. I’m sure you will find excellent garage sale items. Don’t underestimate the value of what you find, you may be surprised what people end up buying.
- Place Ads – Put up flyers and bulletin boards in your community. Make sure the sign is legible, also consider drawing arrows on the signs to help guide customers to your yard sale. Be sure to check with your city and see if they require you to have a permit to run a garage sale. Don’t forget to spread word of mouth; tell your co-workers, friends, family and even consider posting a Craigslist ad about your yard sale.
- Get Supplies – Make sure you have everything you need at least a day before the garage sale. You will need chairs to sit on, table or a place to take payments and provide change.
- Sort & Price Items – Sort your items before you price. Divide all your items by category such as clothes, books, home goods. After you sort and organize items it’s time to price them! You can use plain stickers and a sharpie to make your own price tags.
Most importantly have some fun with your garage sale! Comment and let us know if you have any garage sale tips and tricks you would like to share.