Summertime is the busiest moving season of the year. That being said, we thought we would offer up some self storage tips to make your summer move a little easier. Sometimes you have to get creative when storing your goods, so we thought these simple tips would help you get on the track to being a pro:
- Labels: Always make sure to label your boxes and organize your items in a way that makes sense. Six months or a year from now, having the labels on all of your boxes will make the unpacking that much easier.
- Pallets: It is always better to be safe than sorry, especially when storing irreplaceable items in storage. Keeping your items off the floor on pallets will help protect them minor leaks and problems.
- Plastic Wrap: While it is not necessary, wrapping as much as you can in plastic wrap can help keep your items that much more protected.
- Temperature Change: Being in California, this won't be as much of an issue. However, be mindful of what you are storing and consider double wrapping or insulating items that could be affected by the summer heat. Once again, it is always better to be safe than than sorry.
- Protect the Space: Make sure to be just as careful with the storage unit as you are with your stuff. There are often large fines associated with damage that is done to a unit. Be sure to review your storage unit lease before moving in. This will guarantee you are not storing any prohibited items.
- Pack Smart: If you pack efficiently, you can fit more than you would imagine into a unit. Make sure to pack all the way up to the ceiling and even think about bringing pieces of plywood to stabilize the layers of boxes that you are stacking. This will not only protect the boxes, but lessen the chance of boxes falling over as well.