How to Stay Safe during the Holidays
The holiday season is upon us! Christmas lights and shopping are all holiday traditions that bring great joy. Here are some tips to keep you safe and enjoy the holiday season.
Christmas Light Safety
Candles and Christmas lights are a fire hazard, especially near a Christmas tree. Christmas trees can become dry and extremely flammable. It is important to keep candles in a safe place away from children and decorations. Check holiday lights for any frayed cords and keep trees well-watered to prevent drying. Always remember to turn off lights when you go to bed or leave home.
Higher cases of theft happen around the holiday shopping season. To prevent theft try to shop during the day, or shop with a friend or family member at night. Never leave shopping bags or purses visible in your vehicle. When shopping, always be aware of your surroundings and never leave your purse or wallet unattended. Always report any suspicious activity.
- Keep your travel plans off social media
- If you are traveling out of town notify a trusted neighbor who can keep an eye out
- Secure all valuables
- Leave a television on so it looks like someone is home
- Ask a neighbor or friend to pick up your mail if you will be gone for a long period of time
- Consider shipping your packages to work office or amazon locker to avoid thieves
We hope you have a happy and safe holiday season. For more safety tips, visit your local police department website.